I haven’t posted in about a week, but I have excellent reasons, the most significant being that it’s summer and I am enjoying the season in just about all of its incarnations:
1. Outdoor concerts – With our neighbors, we headed down to Taste of Chicago and the Petrillo band shell in Grant Park (along with several hundred squealing teenage girls) to see fun. and Delta Spirit. It was – well – fun. Beautiful weather and an early park district curfew make for an enjoyable evening that is not exhausting.
2. Family time – Headed to my parents’ house for an afternoon of trimming bushes, pulling weeds, and Scrabble. (I won both games, and they were NOT happy. Very competitive Scrabble games in our house…)
3. Mowing – The lawn. I really do love to mow the lawn. Really. It’s so rewarding. And the riding mower is loud, so I don’t have to talk to anyone.
4. Wedding! – Headed up to Lake Delavan, WI, for the wedding of my good friend & colleague Kelly. (The groom is also a friend and colleague – and a former student, believe it or not!) The weekend included a pre-wedding barbecue, some pool time, and then the wedding itself. The weather was perfect, the company was grand, the ceremony was touching, and the party was amazing. There was LOTS of dancing, many old & new friends, and a good time had by all.
5. Relaxing! – Yesterday and today, we were a little worn-out from all that dancing. So we watched some movies, read, and generally enjoyed sitting in the shade of the patio umbrella with the dogs.
And last but not least, POETRY STUFF! I received my final blurb for the manuscript (I am super excited about this), and also spent time sending out submissions of newer work. I don’t know that there could have been a much better summer week. The only thing missing was ice cream. And that can be easily remedied in the next few days. 🙂
P.S. – My wonderful publisher Erin Elizabeth Smith created an author page for me on Facebook. If you have a chance and would be so inclined, head over and give it a “Like” – I’ll have the most up-to-date info about the manuscript on the page as well as posts about other writing items of interest (not just my own).